Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

What happened to my Blog!!


“What has happened to your blog? Why is there no new post since a long time?” A dear friend asked me this question yesterday! And suddenly I realized that I had not written for quite some time. Well, to be honest, written, but not posted on the blog! Why? Many factors; but mostly excuses like, “other things kept me busy, I have been traveling, commitments at work and family” and there is a string of them to justify to none else but myself. However, now that I think of it, the most important and honest reason was the fear of living up to the expectations that I had set for me! My last few posts were liked and appreciated by my friends and readers and hence, I wanted to make sure that the next one I wrote was – ‘up-to-the-mark’! And this made me delay typing down my penned pages! I was apprehensive that what if my next post is not as good or as liked as the previous one? Therefore, when I started this post, I had no title in mind. I still don’t have one, but I know what I am going to write about. Fighting performance expectations – from others and mostly from you!

And more I thought about it, the more I realized that this is something which has been in our lives since school days. You came first in the examination; teachers and parents expected you to repeat the same and you studied harder and were tensed before the exam! You won a debate competition in college; you and your friends wanted you to do it again! You made an excellent presentation at work; you got nervous before your next one and put more efforts! Why? It was because, each time we accomplished something, we pushed the finish line further away and we were scared of reaching this very finish line which others or we ourselves had drawn for us! Isn’t that the reason we avoid doing many things in the first place?


It is difficult to fight these expectations, I know! Especially, when you have set an example for yourself and everyone including you, expects you to supersede your last work. And although we would love it that way, we need to remind ourselves that the life’s curve is like a sine wave – there are both crests and troughs equally. We have to realize that excellence is important, but so are efforts! It is important to keep moving. Remember, that Sachin does not hit a century all the time. And Mona Lisa was not the last painting by Leonardo da Vinci!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... You are back with a bang!!!

Anonymous said...

Very well said. One is his own worst critic. Our perceptions cloud our minds and we let the brain rule over the heart. We shud live for ourselves and not be bothered by what others thnk and yet we do exactly opposite.....

Sunny said...

Especially applies to girl friends. If you set expectations very high initially to phir zindagi bhar sun na padta hai "pehle to tum aise the, aur ab dekho".

:P

Mohammed Anees said...

nice one! :)

Anonymous said...

Very well said Nidhi!!

More than that - I like your "Thought of the day". We all know it, but find it quite difficult to apply in our life. Ain't it so?

- A dear friend

Anonymous said...

I loved the last line about sachin and mona lisa :D Good one!

Voice of the Gut ... said...

I havent seen life too long, nor have i done anything path breaking but from my experience.. its never beating your previous standard. There are many ways to progress.. and it neednt always be upward. Someone said " Make new mistakes everytime.. dnt repeat the old ones" I feel that correcting upon the last ones, improvising and progressing is the only thing that is required. Good or bad is just a perspective. Nothing leaving aside maths is objective. Its a subjective world.. Just enjoy what you do and follow ur heart :)
Disclaimer: This is also just a point of view and doesnt subscribe or dissuade anyone from thinking, believing and doing anything :P